Author: Puja Shah
Okay, so you don’t even need to care about football to know this is a huge step forward for the human potential movement…
See, the Seattle Seahawks just won the 2014 U.S. Superbowl.
But what if I told you one of their biggest keys to success wasn’t in their little black playbook or the biceps of their star quarterback… but in the 5,000-year-old practice of YOGA?
Coach Pete Carroll makes all his Seahawks players meditate and do yoga during their training.
His offensive tackle player Russell Okung even said, “Meditation is as important as lifting weights and being out here on the field for practice…It’s about quieting your mind and getting into certain states where everything outside of you doesn’t matter in that moment. There are so many things telling you that you can’t do something, but you take those thoughts captive, take power over them and change them.”
What is more amazing than these rugged athletes flexing into downward facing dog every day, is that unlike the West’s usual focus on the physical side of yoga, these hunks are also diving deep into the spiritual, inner reflection aspect of this mind-body practice.
Wilson admitted to ESPN that he visualized the Seahawks’ bright future early last year. He used the power of reflection and meditation to turn a crushing loss to the Falcons in 2012 to playing in the Superbowl in 2014…and winning.
A mind at peace, a mind centered…is stronger than any physical force in the world.” -Wayne Dyer
So Why Aren’t More Dudes Doing Yoga?
Think of a yoga class, and this is probably what comes to mind:
Where are all the men? (Some are on the football field, as you now know…)
See, it’s not like yoga is a girl thing. In fact thousands of years ago, yoga was just as much a guy thing, with many of history’s greatest practitioners – Krishnamacharya, Desikachar, BKS Iyengar, Sri Pattabhi Jois – being dudes.
Yet here in the West, we’ve shoehorned yoga into this thing only women do.
Now Here Are 5 Reasons ALL Men Should Do Yoga!
1. Yoga works you out…everywhere. Every muscle, even the hidden ones you didn’t know about! Plus it’s low impact on your joints, something that is a good break from running and lifting weights.
2. Yoga promotes a healthy cardiovascular system-yoga boosts oxygen through the pranayama, (the breathing).
3. Yoga gets you to zen stat: Just one hour of yoga can completely de-stress you from your day’s work and stress.
4. Yoga boosts your flexibility and endurance: something your girlfriend or wife may fully appreciate…
5. Yoga helps with your overall digestion: something else your girlfriend or wife may appreciate
Have you been feeling an internal shift lately? Or perhaps a sense of unease or disruption? If so, you may be feeling the effects of Mars Retrograde.
"I declare that the heart's release by sympathetic joy has the sphere of infinite consciousness for its excellence."