7 Keys To Mind Power At Any Age
As parents, we all wonder how to be sure our kids are receiving the best education possible.
And part of this is being sure their lifestyle and home-life support their learning.
So, how can you make sure your child is getting the most out of his or her hours spent in school?
One way is to enhance learning ability with the the ancient wisdom of ayurveda. Ancient ayurvedic texts describe three aspects of mental ability: dhi (the power of acquisition or learning), dhriti (the power of retention), and smriti (the ability to recall). When these three mental functions are not in balance, either individually or in their coordination with one another, then learning problems can come up.
Children who have learning problems can feel like failures in school, which quite often leads to frustration and low self-esteem.
When these three mental functions are coordinated and in harmony, then the child’s memory is quick and bright. If impurities (toxic ama) are obstructing the channels of communication between the three functions, then there are not only learning problems but even behavioral problems can arise. A prime example is the high incidence of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in this country. According to a study in Advanced Pediatrics, the frequency of ADHD among school children has been estimated to be as high as 20% in recent years. These easy to implement lifestyle tips from Ayurveda can help your family in their learning and overall health.
Here are Seven Keys to Mind Power at Any Age…
- Eat Fresh, Pure or Organic Foods. Ayurvedic advice for kids holds true for everyone of all ages — stay away from foods with chemicals, pesticides or additives. The purer the foods you eat, the more of their intelligence you absorb.
- Balanced Nutrition and Diet is Essential. A diet rich in healthy proteins with plenty of fruits and vegetables, is good for enhancing mental potential. Don’t count fat out entirely — fat plays some essential roles in the physiology, especially for kids!
- The Power of Antioxidants. Recent research shows that blueberries are powerful food for the brain because of their antioxidant value. The brain is especially vulnerable to free-radical damage. Choose to have kids snack on foods with high antioxidants!
- Get Your Zzzz’s . Research has confirmed that sleep deprivation leads to diminished mental performance. Ayurveda considers sleep to be a basic building block for good mind/body health, just like diet, for all ages, especially growing little ones.
- Manage Stress. High levels of stress negatively impact both mind and body. Practicing meditation can really help, even children! As a kids yoga teacher, I can see how easily it is for children to tune into this quiet space.
- Keep that Brain Working! Like the battery in your car, you have to keep your mind active to keep it running well. So keep the creative juices flowing and exercise your brain regularly by reading and doing activities rather than watching television.
- Get Fresh Air. Spending time outdoors in fresh air and sunlight helps children succeed in school, lowers their stress levels and results in fewer symptoms of ADHD and also leads to better socialization and greater amounts of exercise, which bring physical and mental health benefits.