Before I rattle off some of these famous quotes by Buddha, here’s a little background information on this famous spiritual figure.
Siddartha Gautama was born in the 6th century BC as a prince in what is now modern-day Nepal. Ultimately, he left his life of privilege to understand the purpose of suffering and became the founder of Buddhism. He is known less formally as simply “Buddha” or “The Enlightened One.”
There are many famous quotes by Buddha on how to live an enlightened and inspired life. Here are a few of his best!
Quotes by Buddha:
1. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
2. You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
3. The mind is everything. What you think you become.
4. We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
5. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
6. What we think, we become.
7. It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
8. Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
9. Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.
10. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
11. It is better to travel well than to arrive.
12. Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
13. A jug fills drop by drop.
14 .Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
15. The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.
16. He who gives away shall have real gain. He who subdues himself shall be free; he shall cease to be a slave of passions. The righteous man casts off evil, and by rooting out lust, bitterness, and illusion do we reach Nirvana.
17. We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
18. Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
19. Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
20. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
21. A jug fills drop by drop.
22. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
Andrea Schulman is a former high school psychology teacher and the creator of ‘Raise Your Vibration Today.
When we look at the mind, body, and soul connection, what we are really seeking to understand is the intangible energy of the inner world that speaks from our inner self as the language of the soul.
Karma is an ongoing process and involves not only the past but also present, and the future. Your thoughts in your past lives have an effect on your present life, and your present actions have an effect on your future life. Your current actions can also have an impact in your present life.